Hiring staff? Get ready for this…
For the umpteenth time a new (or not even officially joined) staff member has left us in a lurch.
For anyone new to F&B and hiring staff, get ready for the following situations… unfortunately these are the norm rather than the exception:
– Person accepts the job offer and sets a start date. At some point they decide they don’t want the job anymore. They won’t tell you until you call them on their scheduled first day of work and they say, “Oh, I decided I didn’t want the job and that I would stay at my old place.” Thanks, I could have hired someone else in that month I waited for you to join.
– Schedule interview. Don’t show up for the interview.
– First day of work. Call in the morning and say they’re taking unscheduled leave and they’ll start the next day. Do the same thing the following day.
– Work 1 day and then quit (and by quit I mean just not showing up or answering their phone again since they don’t want to say they’re quitting).
– Express dismay at adhering to strict work times. Guess what, if you’re part of the kitchen team and you stroll in at 2 PM when you were supposed to be there at 10:30 AM it means all our customers have finished lunch already!
– Quit because of above mentioned working hours.
Ah, when I think about these things it makes me antsy so I shall end this blog entry.
Entry filed under: Staffing.